Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

It smells like the LOT!

Thurtene is such a unique WashU tradition, that I can't NOT blog about it. Plus, I figure if I post some frequent updates than alums that aren't coming back for Thurtene can check out the facades, and those that didn't go to WashU can see what the heck it is, because it is impossibly hard to describe.

The whole point of Thurtene is to raise money for charity. Or at least, that's what the official party line is. In reality, a lot of groups spend way more money on building their facade then they raise to give to charity. Another issue some people have with it is that there is a lot of secrecy behind the groups and the honorary that runs it as to where the money all goes. Things have gotten better in the past few years, and I think that as long as it continues to move forward that it is an awesome tradition and something I'm glad I've gotten to experience.

The Thurtene process starts at the very beginning of the school year (if not before). In general a fraternity and a sorority pair together and each contribute members to the board that does all of the creating and planning prior to the spring. I don't know anything about that process because I avoided it like the plague when I was active. BUT then come march or so, the entire chapter gets involved. Pre-lot starts about 5 or 6 weeks prior to Thurtene and groups work on preparing to build the facade. They build flats and paint and do whatever they can to make Lot week go smoother and be less stressful.

Then comes lot week. Lot week is incredible because we go from from a bunch of boxes to crazy awesome final designs. In order to get the big wooden box, we have to do wall raising, a process that still amazes me that nobody dies. I missed the actual wall raising this year, but here is the finished product. A BIG WOODEN BOX!


After the walls are raised and bolted together, the I beams have to go up which help stabilize the structure. This process also makes me wonder how nobody has died yet (a common theme to lot week)
Becky and Josh stand up on some super sturdy scaffolding preparing to hoist up the beam

Bunch of teenagers carry the thing in and then lift it up with 2x4s
(Sound safe yet?)

The lovely Josh and Becky line it up with the groove in the wall

Still holding it up with 2x4s the people on the other scaffold grab the other end and line it up with the groove in the wall

Everybody with the 2x4s pushes up on one side so it falls into the groove


Everything shakes, but nothing falls down and nobody dies!

And then we repeat this... a lot. And BOOM! Big wooden box is done!

I'll try and keep taking pictures and posting them so that you can see the whole evolution.
Honestly, it sounds a little crazy and a like a lot of work (which it is), but it was such an awesome part of my college experience and a great bonding experience. 





No comments:

Post a Comment